A healthy play on the old Orange Julius drinks from the mall food court, named after my son instead. But in all honesty, I haven’t had an Orange Julius in maybe 30 years and can’t quite recall what it tastes like, so if nothing else, it’s just a delicious and creamy orange citrus smoothie to start your day.
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk, I used rice
- 3 oranges, peeled and quartered
- 1 lemon, peeled and quartered
- 2 dates, pitted
- 4 carrots, peeled if preferred and chopped small enough for your blender
- 1 banana, frozen if available
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Throw everything in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Adjust to your preferred taste. Add in an extra date for sweetness or a banana to make it creamier, but know that banana tends to overwhelm the flavor. I often add in hemp seeds, chia seeds, and maca powder into my smoothies for their nutritional benefits, but they are optional and do impact the taste.